Eldritch, Elderberry and Pistachio

As I've mentioned, I've been playing with some Uni Pin Pens that I recently bought.  I do intend to write a review, but the way things are shaping up, it will probably be March before I can do it.  I've got  some other reviews to do, am taking my mother for a couple of weeks in Florida and have a hubby on vacation.

So today, I'll tease you with a few drawings.

After drawing this piece, I became fascinated with the light seemed to shine in these trees.


There is a tangle pattern (probably more than one, actually) called Nekton that is similar to what I'm doing, but I'm actually playing with a form of hatching (parallel lines used to create tonal value- http://startstudioarts.si.edu/2010/06/tips-and-techniques-creating-value-in-ink-drawings.html).  
 It's a great background for a silhouette, and really highlights the 'glow' for this kind of drawing.  Should I do it up as a pattern?


It's a great background for a silhouette, and really highlights the 'glow' for this kind of drawing.

I did another with an eye to coloring it in.

I wanted color that was almost more of a tint so I used stamp pad re-inkers (you can buy bottles of the liquid ink used for stamp pads.  When your stamp pad dries out, you squeeze more ink into it.  The bottles are cheaper than buying a new pad).  I squeezed drops of ink onto small foam coloring sticks, using Elderberry, Pistachio and LuLu Lavender with Sunflower for the sun.  I was trying for a Spanish moss look with the Pistachio, but I think it got a bit muddy.



Comments

  1. I love the black n white version .. and the glow really works fantastically, think this would work on a Japanese kind of theme .. I may employ this into my doodles ... I am very much a beginner and didnt know there are names for different patterns ... does it matter any that i use whatever in any of my doodles ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, you are free to use any patterns in your doodles. There is 'zen' form of art called Zentangling, that uses patterns in a specific way. Step-outs of the designs are created and named so that people can more easily look up the instructions. Although zentangle differs from doodling, in that it is aimed at achieving a zen and relaxed state, the results can be similar. You can find pattern stepouts at Zentangle.com, Tanglepatterns.com, or from my list at Flickr (and on this blog) http://www.flickr.com/photos/aceo/collections/72157623059972407/

      Delete

Post a Comment