Using Landscapes for strings/ Rhodia Journal Swap

One of the steps in Zentangle® is to start by drawing a 'string', lines that divide your page into sections, which you can then fill with various tangle patterns.

The most common method of creating a Zentangle string is to imagine you've dropped a string on the page, and draw the lines.  Or you can use templates such as those provided at Tanglepatterns.com.  

Occasionally, I like to use a landscape as the basis for a string.  Recently, a friend of mine, Lynne Howard, posted a beautiful photo she'd taken, and I thought it had the potential for a great string.  With her permission, I share it with you, and I'll show you the two ways I used it.


In this photo, the elements create shapes.  The shape of the waterfall, the river, the trees, the bank.

I didn't worry about details, and there was no effort to make my drawing look like the photo.  

I simply drew the outlines of the major shapes.


Once I'd drawn the shapes, I put the photo aside and just tangled whatever patterns I please.  


Note, that usually strings are drawn with pencil and are meant to disappear into the completed tangles.  They are a way to begin the Zentangle and are not meant to be noticed in the final product.  However, in this case, I used pen and kept the string outlines so you would see the shapes I started with.

If you saw this piece, without reading the explanation, you'd never know I used a landscape as the basis for it.

Using the same photo, I decided I wanted to depart further from the traditional Zentangle and create a piece that actually resembled a landscape.  

I still wasn't looking for realism, or to make my finished piece look like the photo.  However, this time, I used the photo to both pick out my shapes and to guide my choice of tangle patterns.

Patterns such as Hollibaugh, Zanholli and Zapateado were used to give a wood and brush feel.  Purk was used for the stones.  Pokeroot and a Pokeleaf type pattern was used for foliage.  Mooka and Flux (not found online) were used for an impression of foam and splash. Flukes and Cubine were used within the waterfall, and Crescent Moon was used for the river because it suggests ripples to me.  


I don't recommend this method if you are  seeking the 'Zen' relaxation of Zentangle drawing, because you can get wound up in trying to make your piece too realistic, or in searching for just the right tangle pattern.  But it's lots of fun, if you want a little challenge.

You don't have to have a photo to create strings like this.  What about the shapes in your living room or your backyard?  Inspiration is everywhere.  Sometimes we stop looking closely at places we are used to.  This can also be a fun way to 'rediscover' the everyday  world around you.

This Zentangle-Inspired art was drawn in the Rhodia Swap Journal I am currently working in.    You can see what others are doing at the Rhodia Journal Swap on Tumblr.

Comments

  1. very cool way to get some interesting strings. And of course, the tangling is super beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I have often wondered how you came up with your strings - you have such unique work and I love to study it, to see what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sandra for the honor of using my picture. Standing there while taking this picture was wonderful as the water crashed. It was a beautiful day. I am so glad you did this and gave it another life. It is a great idea for a string and one which I will love to use. It will be another way to keep A memory fixed in Art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! And your work is beautiful. I have to file this idea in my mental notebook to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandra,
    again a great way to explore tangles in another way. Love your example, I will follow it - perhaps soon in my workshops ;-)
    tangle <3, Arja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, I may have to try this sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool exercise! This would be a fun idea to use in a class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING! Your creativity is so very inspiring. Will definitely try this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea! Not sure when (or even if) I'll get around to trying it out, but still, wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am completely enchanted by what you've done with the photo.. both versions. Being a bit of a nature photography buff, I'm now seeing my shots with a whole new eye. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all very much! I'm looking forward to seeing what others do with landscapes for their strings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't done very much "Tangling" lately, as I got way caught up in the world of watercoloring and now gardening. However, I think this is exactly up my alley. Both of your illustrations are outstanding and I particularly am enchanted with the latter one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sandra, I love both of these and the bottom one took my breath away. Thank you so much for explaining this process of drawing a string from a photo or sketch you did from nature. This is really cool idea and I love what you did with both of your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandra, both pieces are great, but like craftydr, the second one actually takes my breath away in it's beauty. It's a wonderful abstract of a landscape drawing. I can see how it might not create "zen", but then I often agonize over some of my work in ZIAs. I'm definitely going to try this. Now to go find the perfect photo or painting or whatever to use to draw my string.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was interested in this post because I drew several pictures after a family trip to Myrtle Beach last year, and the inspiration for the pictures was the view from our condominium. I got around to posting them on my blog this morning. Seems that great minds can use the same inspiration and take it in two different directions. Look forward to your blog every morning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment