What Do You Do With All That Artwork?--Day One

It's no secret that I prefer to work in a journal or sketchbook over single sheets or canvas.  Partly because a book gives you a built-in support so you can draw on your lap.  Partly it's a matter of storage--single sheet work tends to go all over the place when you try to stack them, while a sketchbook fits neatly, out of the way, on the shelf.

Most of all, though, I just like being able to flip through a book later.

For this reason, even when I do work on a single sheet, I often find a way to incorporate that piece into a sketchbook.   I try to fit it onto a larger work, using textures or colors or even other paper to frame it.

Over the next few days, I thought I'd share some artwork that you may have seen on my blog before--only now it's been incorporated.

To begin with, I'll share what I did with a piece done for one of my Viva Las VegaStamps! design team posts.


I had page that I covered with black gesso.  I had experimented with adding strokes of acrylic paint and shutting the book to smear it.  I planned to build on this, but I really liked the result, and didn't want to cover it up.

After I'd done the Alice in Wonderland piece, I realized the colors in the corner of the page coordinated nicely.  Hmmm, I thought.  If I glue down the drawing, that background looks like it might be the tunnel that Alice fell through.

No?





Comments