Journal52: Week 21 Prompt-Mandala

I know.  My mandala doesn't look very impressive.  But.  It's holographic!  Twist it in the light just right and a whole different mandala appears!  My great-nieces (5 & 7) were SO impressed!

I'm not big on mandalas.  I love seeing what others do, but have never had much interest in drawing them myself.  So for this prompt I grabbed the Quasi-stencils I won from Artist Cellar a while ago, and used one for the dotted background, and two for the blue mandala.

How did I get the holograph?  I used Daler-Rowney's Graduate Metallic acrylic in pearl-white with my last stencil.  All their metallics are very transparent, and the pearl white is almost invisible.  Until you hold it so the light can catch the sheen.  It's a cheap thrill, but it's fun, lol!


Comments

  1. hahaha! this is awesome, sandra! i'm going to have to try it - i think i have that color :) yay, me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think it's good to keep a sense of childhood wonder. If you get to the point where this kind of surprise doesn't make you smile, you've lost something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm smiling! Sweet work!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I made you smile. I think most of my readers have that sense of wonder. It's what makes you all special!

      Delete
  4. Delightful! I'll have to see if I have a paint that will work this way - maybe thinning a professional grade paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interference colors can give you a similar effect, though they are even more transparent. If I were working on something that I wanted to sell or be sure was archival, I'd use Golden's interference color. I don't know how archival these Graduate colors are, but they have a surprising strong pigment for the price.

      Delete

Post a Comment