Journal52: Prompt 39-In the City #Journal52 #ArtJournal #ArtJournaling

This week's prompt was 'In the City' (I wrote it down incorrectly *sigh*).

My process is below for those interested.


1. I used a Shock Yellow Light Montana Marker to color the entire page.


2. Then I used Shock Orange to color around the shape of the buildings.  I didn't pencil in my buildings, beforehand, but you certainly could.  

I wanted a funky look and playing with perspective can give you that.  I've found that perspective doesn't have to be correct if you aim for a cartoony or surreal effect, but if you distort it, try to distort everything the same way.  Also, unless you are trying to make something stick out like a sore thumb--make everything distorted, or keep the perspective correct for everything.  Mixing the two doesn't work too well, usually.


3. You can get empty Montana Markers and fill them with other brands of fluid acrylic paint.  I have one filled with an electric pink from Spectra.  I used that to deepen the upper part of the sky--it doesn't show up well in the scan making my background look like a pumpkin color when it is really more of a red-orange.



4. I switched to Sharpie brush point markers at this time.  I used purple to color in the shadowed sides of the building, leaving yellow squares to represent windows.


5.  I used Burgundy for the front of the buildings, again leaving squares for the windows, and then added Dark Blue to the center of the shadowed sides.


6-finish.  At this point I was flipping back and forth through colors so often that I couldn't really photograph every step.  I used a fluorescent green Sharpie (regular tip) to shadow the windows and roofs, and a darker green for the grass.  I squirkled (a kind of scribbling to add texture) some purple along the right side of the building fronts using a Hi-Tec-C Maica Gel pen.

I used the purple and dark blue Sharpies to add the shadows and blended into the grass.  The scan didn't pick up all the color, and on the actual page the shadows and hillside are more thoroughly blended together.

The buildings in the background were added with the purple and green Sharpies.

Comments