Alloro Vineyard Water Lily #AlloroVineyard #Watercolor #WaterLily

In early September, I went to a Plein Air session at the Alloro Vineyard in Sherwood, Oregon.  It was a rainy day, so painting was a challenge but we had fun anyway.  In the patio outside the restaurant area, there was a cement pond with a beautiful water lily (there was also a purple one that blossomed during the time we were there!).   I took a photo but didn't try painting it until last week.

I wasn't totally happy with my first attempt...


... so I tried again.  This time, I lied a bit.  The actual pond had dark, still water and a profusion of lily pads that were confusing for the eye to follow.  I decided to simplify and choose colors based on what might seem pleasing rather than following the reality of the pond.

I used the plastic wrap technique to create movement in the water, decreased the number of lily pads and the rocks beneath.  I'll probably paint this again in the near future because I'm still not getting quite what I want.  Practice makes perfect -- that's the theory anyway, lol!



Comments

  1. I really liked your simplified second painting. The use of the blue swirling through the painting accentuated the beauty of the flower. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did think the lily in the first painting was rather stark amidst the muddy colors, but I liked the reflections in the water. Overall, I prefer the second better.

      Delete
    2. Okay, the 'better' was supposed to have been deleted in that last sentence.

      Delete
  2. These are lovely! I'm partial to water lilies. Water is difficult, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely! I'm partial to water lilies. Water is difficult, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment