The Flames of Autumn #Watercolor #Strathmore #AquariusII

This week I'm sharing paintings that I set aside because I didn't know if I was being overcritical, just needed to keep working on them, or they were just plain bad.

Once again, I was shooting for the idealized style.  Notice how often, the ones I dislike fall into that category?  I know the reason--the idealized style is very simplistic, and my own personal style is an extreme opposite.

Even though, I say I'm unhappy with these paintings, I'm not trying to be negative.  I'm trying to learn a style that is un-natural to my way of painting, and that's never easy.  I learn from every painting whether I succeed in my immediate goal.  I like to keep these paintings, whether I ever do anything further or not.  They help me decide where I'm going wrong, and where I'm going right.

That said.  I don't like this one, except for the brightest orange foliage where I got a bit of 3D feel.  I'm in the process of re-trying this as an actual 3D resin painting.


Comments