Rainbow Finch #Watercolor #52WeeksOfWatercolourBirds #WatercolorBirds

Mitsib doesn't seem to be issuing the weekly challenges for '52 Weeks of Watercolour Birds' on a regular basis.  I like to keep up the flow so I decided that I'll paint a bird a week in the book I have designated for this challenge.  I'll incorporate her challenges as they come up, and decide what to do if I run out of pages, when and if that comes.

I've wanted to paint a Lady Gouldian's Finch (aka the Gouldian Finch or Rainbow Finch) for a while- they're so colorful! However, my favorite resource the Morguefile failed me, so I had to use more than one photo reference and combine them.

I made things more difficult by choosing to do this at 2:30 AM.  I've had a bronchial thing going on where coughing keeps me up (it's getting better) and I decided if I couldn't sleep, I'd something other than staring at walls.  It also turned that there was something on the paper, so I got a weird triangle thing in a ring on the wing.  The best part about that was making it rhyme, lol.

All told, not bad for the difficulty rating.  This will be a good one to do again, because it has lots of room for improvement, making it a good exercise.


Many of the paints I used I had already mixed, and it was late at night, so I'm not sure exactly what pigments were used.  

I used a Silver Black Velvet Round size 6 and size 16.

This bird was done in the Global Art Materials Field Watercolor Artist Journal Hand Book, 7 by 10-Inch that I'm using for the '52 Weeks of Watercolour Birds'.

Comments